The sorry end of the Anderson brothers grand timber tramway
The six Anderson brothers sailed to Melbourne from Scotland in 1850 intending to farm. While they were briefly enticed to try their hand at gold digging in the Blackwood goldfield, they soon struck ‘gold’ of a different sort when they switched to logging timber in the Wombat Forest. Starting at Dean, they set up a small manual sawpit sawmill, then a steam-powered mill at Adekate Creek. Transporting cut logs with horse or bullock powered jinkers, they quickly stripped the area of useful timber and needed to go further afield into the forest on top of the Divide.
- Timber and Gold: A history of the sawmills and tramways of the Wombat Forest, 1855-1940 (1980)
- Daylesford & District Historical Society.