Lake Daylesford – a lake designed to beautify and conceal
Lake Daylesford was originally a creek valley fed by Wombat Creek and a number of mineral springs. The land was an important hunting and fishing area used by the local Dja Dja Wurrung people. The Aboriginal people were displaced in the 1840s by the rapidly expanding European settlers who spread north and west of Melbourne, which was established on Port Phillip Bay in 1835.
- Images and text sources courtesy of Daylesford & District Historical Society.
- Lake history – http://conceptlib.com/daylesford/lake.htm
- Town history – https://visithepburnshire.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Short-History-of-Daylesford-Updated-Dec-2019.pdf
- Origin of name: When the townsite was surveyed in 1854 it was named Wombat. It was then renamed by Sir Charles Hotham, Lieutenant-Governor of Victoria, after the place in Gloucestershire where Warren Hastings, the first Governor-General of India had died in 1818.